A friend's step daughter and her fiance have tested positive for the virus. He's had a fever for two days, she's asymptomatic, and they're in quarantine. My friend is beside herself with anger that they acted as though nothing was out of the ordinary, going to barbeques and poker games with friends.
I'm angry, too. But more than that, I'm afraid. I'm afraid for all of my stupid, stupid friends who think this pandemic is just something that's going to blow over, that they're somehow invulnerable, that everything is going to be just fine.
Eight. That's the number of people I know personally who have tested positive. Eight. I don't have so many friends that I can afford to lose eight of them. Fortunately, most of these people will recover, as they've mostly led healthy lives. At least two have had a devastating reaction to it, and I don't know yet about my friend's foolish young step daughter.

No comments:
Post a Comment