![]() |
| That's me with the stuffed frog. |
Today I listened to Kermit the Frog singing Rainbow Connection, recommended by a member of the UU Meeting House. It was balm for my spirit, something I heard back in my childhood and only half understood. Well, that's the way of children, absorbing things they'll only know much later.
Then I studied several women singing Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child. Bessie Griffin, Mahalia Jackson and Odetta were my favorites.
I don't know why this song speaks to me, since my mother and I have grown closer now than we ever were during my childhood. I believe we're becoming friends rather than merely playing roles in one another's lives. Mother. Daughter.
So in a strictly literal way it makes little sense that this song touches me. Then I think of all the friends I have who no longer have their mothers in their lives, for whatever reason. Most of my friends are at least a few years older than I am. I was born after the Baby Boom, so to them, I'm always the baby. Maybe someday that'll change. Hard to say. But I think I'll sing this song tomorrow night at my Chamber Singers Zoom meeting, in case any of my friends there need to hear it.

No comments:
Post a Comment